There are different APIs and formats to collect data in Firefox, all suiting different use cases.
In general, we aim to submit data in a common format where possible. This has several advantages; from common code and tooling to sharing analysis know-how.
In cases where this isn’t possible and more flexibility is needed, we can submit custom pings or consider adding different data formats to existing pings.
Note: Every new data collection must go through a data collection review.
The current data collection possibilities include:
- Scalars allow recording of a single value (string, boolean, a number)
- Histograms can efficiently record multiple data points
environmentdata records information about the system and settings a session occurs in
- Events can record richer data on individual occurrences of specific actions
- Measuring elapsed time
- Custom pings
- Stack capture allow recording application call stacks
- Use counters measure the usage of web platform features
- Experiment annotations
- Remote content uptake
- Hybrid Content Telemetry allows recording telemetry from semi-privileged hosted content
- WebExtension API can be used in privileged webextensions